Thursday, January 24, 2008

Day Five



I've acquired a microscope. As far as I can tell, the lenses for the higher magnifications are too dirty to see through or broken beyond repair. The only lens that is working is the 75x magnification lens. Is this even close to being strong enough to see anything that might possibly be alive within the mixture? If I take the time to put together a slide and then view it at 75x, how likely is it that I'll be able to see something of interest?

More semen has been added to the mixture as well as several drops of blood, which amounted to approximately 1 mL. I am pleased to see that Adam's overall volume has been steadily increasing and little to no volume has been lost due to evaporation.

There are two interesting observations that should be pointed out, since the pictures I take don't really show Adam's development completely. First, the small blob of mucus that I had once believed was acting as a sort of nucleus for Adam has all but disappeared. I'm assuming that it has been dissolved in the mixture along with the cloudy strands that were forming around it and that I hadn't destroyed its growth in some way. Secondly, I find it curious that everything I put into the mixture retains its shape and color for quite some time. After several hours, the whole mixture is once again homogenized and one element is not discernible from another within the translucent, orange goulash. Is this an indicator of the development of life? Is it safe to assume that something living is absorbing the different substances or is it simply the result of several liquids being combined into one?

This project is continually proving itself to be simultaneously stimulating and satisfying. I hope that reading about my experiences is equally interesting.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, i'm no expert on microscopes myself either but i think it would be better to look through stronger lenses than a 75x. even if this one is fine, a more powerful would be better and it might be best to use a powerful one. heh i was a bit disappointed when you said that the little blob had disappeared. i was hoping that it would turn into something.
oh and most likely everything you're putting in it is just being dissolved faster. could be the bigger volume of Adam that's causing it to dissolve faster.
and yes this is very interesting :D
cant wait to hear about more

Future'sFather said...

I'm pretty sure that 75x isn't going to show me anything too conclusive, but I'll look anyway. As for the blob, it could very well still be there at the bottom of the container and I just can't see it. I was a bit disappointed to see that it had disappeared, I thought that everything would begin to adhere to it and it would grow.

Anonymous said...

I actually had thought the same thing, but this does propose an interesting development. Say that, in fact, something has been absorbing and/or dissolving all of the 'materials' in the mixture together. That would suggest that there is definitely something growing inside your mixture. Otherwise, the mixtures would stay separate since they have different volumes.

Furthermore, this experiment likely could've gone down the 'growth around mucus' path you had predicted, but this path is interesting in itself because it has been absorbed by a surrounding life form spread throughout the liquid, meaning that 'Adam' is now encompassing the entire mass of liquid instead of just one concentrated area.

One last thing: While I can not put a label on Adam yet, it is my belief that it is some sort of acidic mold (hence the slow dissolution of the other materials) or perhaps a slightly more complex life form at this time.

And advancements will occur...that much is guaranteed.

Anonymous said...

I had bookmarked this but hadn't really been following it since the thread. I'm glad to see the project is still going strong. I can't wait untill something shows up! Though you may have to wait a while, unless you start sneezing into the mix, or adding dirt or something. But as soon as anything grows: such rejoicing!

/d/ude said...

Sorry to burst your bubble but it sounds to me like normal diffusion. It just takes awhile because of the viscosity of the liquid and the large amount of protein already in the liquid. I really want to believe something will form, but I don't think it's happened yet. If it absorbs it instantly however, that would be amazing and will require you to find a video camera. Thanks for letting us in on your project!

Future'sFather said...

I'm sure that it's too early to say that anything has developed really. I just thought that maybe the dissolution of the substances indicated that some sort of life was present. If that's not the case, I'm still going to pay attention to how the materials interact with each other regardless.
Thanks for showing an interest, everyone.

Anonymous said...

Jayson has it right. It's completely normal for liquids to diffuse and spread through the liquid, becoming homogeneous. And, if I can remember from my HS Biology Class, it eventually comes back to a clump. to see this in action, slowly drop a dye into a clear glass of water, making sure not to move it.

Future'sFather said...

That's exactly what I see happening when I put the drops of blood into the mixture. The drops stay intact inside the mixture for several minutes and then begin to diffuse. I guess this phenomenon isn't that exciting after all, it seems to just be the way that interacting liquids behave.

Anonymous said...

I'll give you $20 to drink it.