Sunday, January 27, 2008

Week 1


Within Adam's first week of development, I have seen lots of changes. The most notable change is the volume of the mixture. Little by little, Adam's volume is growing and that's just how I expect the developments to introduce themselves to me. If you consider organic growth, it is a very slow process. Maybe slow isn't the right word. Deliberate and subtle more accurately describe the way in which things develop naturally over time. Consider your own growth. Consider how long it takes to grow your hair out or to grow at all. From day to day, you don't notice many changes. This is the same reason why a human fetus's growth is recorded in terms of weeks or months rather than days. These small changes translate to an infinitesimal daily growth. I'm not making excuses for Adam's apparent lack of development, I'm merely trying to explain why it may seem like nothing is changing. These things take time and since I intend to let Adam grow with a minimal amount of human interference, it may take a lot of time. All I'm asking from you, as a reader, is to be patient and try to stay curious because it is becoming quite clear that this experiment is going to take a long time to yield any worthwhile results. I intend to continue with what I'm doing for at least 9 months and I'll continue past that, if I feel that I should.

Now that I'm done explaining why there are no big developments, I can begin to describe the small developments. The globule of mucus is most definitely still intact (slightly visible in this picture, the arrow points to the globule that I'm talking about), although the small hair that it was originally attached to is no longer a part of it, and the pool of suspended blood does seem to be clinging to it. I was surprised to find that, after two days, the mixture had not become completely homogenized. I don't think this is a bad sign, though. In fact, I think that this may be a sign of development. What starts out as a homogenized mixture should begin to separate into distinct parts once development occurs, just like how most living creatures are composed of several organelles and structures rather than just one unifying substance. I'm not saying that Adam is already a complex enough organism to be forming organelles, I'm simply suggesting that what I'm seeing could be an indication of the very earliest stages of the developments of new life.

I'm once again postponing looking at Adam under a microscope. The mixture still isn't homogenized and the volume isn't hearty enough to spare samples from the different substances. Although, I have been informed that I will be able to see very basic lifeforms at a magnification of 75x, so this gives me hope for when I finally do decide to make slides and take a closer look at Adam.

I hate to be so apologetic about everything, but I realize how unimpressive this must all seem, especially considering how quickly things seemed to be changing in the beginning. I hope that no one is discouraged by my findings. All I can do is learn from my mistakes and understand that patience is going to be a very big part of the development of this experiment. My imagination still keeps me inspired enough to continue in spite of this and I hope that everyone interested can bear to stay curious for as long as it takes.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, to tell you the truth i am a bit disappointed that not much has happened, but i will keep my patience and stick with this project of yours. It probably is better to wait off on the microscope'ing, letting it develop more seems like a very good idea. i'm hopping that all these.. "unfindings" dont discourage you, or any other of our readers too much as well. will be coming back frequently and hope Adam continues to grow

Anonymous said...

Patience is something I always have. I made your blog my home page.

But I don't think there will be 'organelles' any time soon-- maybe not even at all. After all, mold really doesn't have organs, and neither do bacterium, right?

Just thought I'd let you in on that. Also, you would require a much higher amount of proteins in order to form a life with organs. I mean, mothers need to eat enough for TWO WHOLE PEOPLE while pregnant. I don't think that blood and sperm would be able to maintain a life-form with organs, let alone spawn one. However, the probability of mold is incredibly high, and if you add in the right materials, it will upgrade from that.

Will look into it, and possibly return later with advice/suggestions.

Future'sFather said...

As I said, I'm not at all discouraged by the lack of immediately visible developments. It simply means that I have to be more patient.

And I realize that I may never see organelles, I was just trying to turn what I've been seeing into something that makes sense and would keep people's imaginations working.

Anonymous said...

I can't say I'm too surprised. You've not added any self-replicating cells to the mix, and nothing to promote bacteria growth either as far as I can tell. If nothing else happens within another week, why not just go outside, grab a small amount of dirt (which generally supports some microbes) and add that to the mix? I'm still visiting because I'm curious what, if any, kind of mold will appear.

Future'sFather said...

I don't think I'd add dirt. I'm trying to stick to using things that my body creates. So what could I add from my body that would behave in the same way as dirt and introduce some self-replicating cells to the mixture?

Anonymous said...

I may be wrong but is the jar just sitting there?

I would think that a loww amount of heat from a bulb would promote growth of some sort. Think about it, a baby grows in a womb in warm.

I'm not sure if it's necessary but I'd but it'd help for something to grow.

As the others, I'm a bit disappointed but I suppose it's the lack of patience I have in reading your experiments snd wanting to know more.

Good luck on this and I'll keep on reading.

Anonymous said...

"So what could I add from my body that would behave in the same way as dirt and introduce some self-replicating cells to the mixture?"
That's just the problem, outside of your body, stem cells, bone marrow, organs, etc. aren't going to function. If you had a way to take bacteria out of your stomach or intestines that would work, but I think your best bet is to extract some samples from any open sores, infections, fungus (athlete's foot), or acne you may have growing on you and add that to the mix. Failing that, there's tons of bacteria on your skin already.

Still I think the chances of any of those options working is pretty slim, since your body provides an ideal moist, warm environment for such life to thrive upon, which doesn't seem to be available inside the plastic cup.

Actually, adding dirt wouldn't be so far outside the rules, as you frequency consume small amounts of various substances (including the minerals and topsoil we call dirt) when you eat.

Future'sFather said...

Yes, the jar is "just sitting there" for now. But I keep it under a lamp and the temperature is always around 65 degrees. I realize that this isn't warm enough to incubate a human fetus or something, but it's the best I could do without frying Adam or letting him freeze.

And I'm still really not keen on the idea of eating dirt or other outside substances. After a long time, if I get desperate for results, maybe then I'll start being more adventurous, but for now I'm sticking to my original plan.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered harvesting some menstrual blood for adam? I'd imagine it would be hard actually aquiring any of that,since im assuming someone who would spunk in a cup has no girlfriend, but it would be an interesting addition to the mixture- especially if you consider it as a kind of balance to the jizz.

Anonymous said...

I think adding some form of energy would help in one way or another. Maybe get a heat-lamp and set it up nearby, keep it at ~90 degrees. That or add a battery, or some form of electricity that won't leak hazardous acids. That's my 2 cents, I don't mind if you think they're trash. I'll keep an eye on your blog, and best of luck to you, and Adam. One question, though, what if it has no Y chromosomes?

Future'sFather said...

Menstrual balance is not the female equivalent of semen. Menstrual blood is dead blood, semen is alive.

Adam not having Y chromosomes is the least of my concern, really.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know. But I was wondering what you'd call her?

Future'sFather said...

Certainly not Eve.